Thoggen is a DVD backup utility ('DVD ripper') for Linux, based on GStreamer and Gtk+. There are several other DVD rippers. There is a good article Choose the DVD ripper that's right for you which give a good account of the various DVD ripping application available on linux.
Some of the features of thoggen (taken from Thoggen Website) are as followed:
- Easy to use, with a nice graphical user interface (GUI)
- Supports title preview, picture cropping, and picture resizing.
- Language Selection for audio track (no subtitle support yet though)
- Encodes into Ogg/Theora video
- Can encode from local directory with video DVD files
- Based on the GStreamer multimedia framework, which makes it fairly easy to add additional encoding formats/codecs in future.
To install thoggen on Fedora 11, first you have to install RPM Fusion. For more information on RPM Fusion installation, see Blog Entry RPM Fusion Repository. Remember to do a "yum check-update" after you have install the repository
Step 1: Install thoggen
# yum install thoggen
Step 2: Install libdvdcss2. libdvdcss is a free software library for accessing and unscrambling DVDs encrypted with the Content Scramble System (CSS).
# sudo -s # rpm -ivh http://dl.atrpms.net/all/libdvdcss2-1.2.10-5.fc11.i586.rpm
Step 3: Install gstreamer and related gstreamer-plugins
yum install gstreamer gstreamer-plugins-base gstreamer-plugins-good gstreamer-plugins-bad