What is Eclipse?
- It is a vendor-neutral open source workbench for multi-language development.
- Extensible platform for tool integration
- Plugin-in based framework to create, integrate and utilise software tools.
It has several packages which includes
- Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers
- Eclipse IDE for Java PHP Developers
- Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers
- Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Linux Developers (includes Incubating components)
- ....and many more
Installing eclipse on CentOS 5.x. First you need Java 1.5 and above
# yum install java*
Download the Linux version from Eclipse Download. In my case, I downloaded the "Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers"
If you wish to put eclipse in a common location for common use, put the extracted directory to /usr/local/ or any place of your choice. After placing the eclipse, remember to path it
# touch /etc/profile.d/eclipse.sh
# source /etc/profile.d/eclipse.sh
Launch the eclipse application