Friday, March 1, 2013

xrdp_mm_process_login_response: login failed

If you encountered this error xrdp_mm_process_login_response: login failed when you use the remote desktop connection to connection to a vnc session.

Even if you restart xrdp, the error still remain, the issue could be due to locked  X11 session that was created by xrdp.

To solve the issue, go to the/tmp/.X11-unix/ and find your X session and delete the session.
# cd /tmp/.X11-unix

Do a listing
# ls -l 

Look at the session owned by you which you wished to delete
.....
.....
srwxrwxrwx 1 root      root  0 Jul  9  2012 X0
srwxrwxrwx 1 user1  users 0 Jan 25 09:13 X1
srwxrwxrwx 1 user2      users 0 Jul 10  2012 X10
srwxrwxrwx 1 user3     users 0 Feb 19 13:31 X11
srwxrwxrwx 1 user4  users 0 Nov 20 15:10 X12
srwxrwxrwx 1 user5     users 0 Jul 10  2012 X13
.....
.....
Delete the session......

If xrdp still fails, it seems that it is due to orphaned X--. Once xrdp hits an orphaned X-- which may or may not be from other users, the error will still remain.

To see the orphaned X11 session, you can do a vncserver, which you will see something like that
# vncserver

Warning: Head-Node:1 is taken because of /tmp/.X11-unix/X1
Remove this file if there is no X server Head-Node:1

Delete all the orphaned X--


Restart the xrdp service and try the remote connection.
# service xrdp restart

If you are still having the issue, do look at alternative solution 
  1. X Server -- no display in range is available. xrdp_mm_process_login_response: login failed

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I followed your blog, and did, but it doesnt' work. but I remove all sessions by mistake.(I mean, all rm X*) After that(maybe),I cannot log in my ubuntu account. I reset my password, and procedure was going smoothly, but it doesn't work at all. can you help me?

Xabier said...

Hi,
This is little silly and embarrassing, but gave me a little headache.
In my case, I also got the "xrdp_mm_process_login_response: login failed" message, and in /var/log/xrdp-sesman.log I saw "[INFO ] login denied for user username". On terminal with groups command, it said I was in tsusers, but when I open "users and groups" gui I realized that it said I wasn't. So I added me with the gui to group tsusers, and connection started to work.
Note: /etc/group had duplicate entries for tsadmins and tsusers.

Unknown said...

I followed your instruction and i get my xrdp running. Thank a lot.

Unknown said...

your post is very simple to understand

Dealersocket Login

Unknown said...

I managed to solve the issue by changing /etc/xrdp/sesmain.ini
in [Seccions]
set MaxSessions from 10 to 100
or changing X11DisplayOffset to 1 instead.

Unknown said...

I managed to solve the issue by changing /etc/xrdp/sesmain.ini
in [Seccions]
set MaxSessions from 10 to 100
or changing X11DisplayOffset to 1 instead.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.